In 1994 the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) published an article identifying medical risks associated with restraining people face down. They recommended the safest method to restrain a person was in an upright seated position.
At that time, Ron O'Dell and Craig Zamolo were sergeants with the Walnut Creek Police Department in Walnut Creek, California. They were highly trained in methods of self-defense, non-lethal force, and controlling combative subjects and trained thousands of first responders. This extensive experience led to their being recognized as court experts in Police and Use Of Force training and resulting in their assignment to research safer alternatives for restraining people.
After significant research, they concluded that no existing restraint device adequately addressed the recommendation of the IACP. Most existing devices were unreasonable, unsafe, or outdated. This absence of a safe, upright seated restraint device was the starting point for the creation of The WRAP, and Safe Restraints, Inc., a company primarily owned and operated by law enforcement, legal, and medical professionals.
Once a medical test, field tests, and evaluations by hundreds of law enforcement instructors were conducted, The WRAP restraint was made available in 1996. The WRAP was patented and made only in the United States. The WRAP is so durable that units are still in use that were produced in 1996. The WRAP has been found to be safe and 100% effective by the Institute for the Prevention of In-Custody Deaths. Read the study at www.ipicd.com. Its use has been mandated in some states for juvenile institutions.
The WRAP is the trusted restraint device used by hundreds of agencies across the US and Canada. Safe Restraints, Inc. is committed to protecting lives, reducing injuries and preserving physical and financial resources.
Safe Restraints Mission
The mission of Safe Restraints, Inc. is to provide products and training that increase security, increase safety for subjects and personnel, and increase protection of property.
Founded by law enforcement officers, Safe Restraints, Inc. directly understands the immense and complicated dangers that both subjects and safety professionals face in restraint situations. The WRAP is designed to prevent continued escalation and to quickly end conflicts with subjects. It is our vision to make The WRAP as common and widely used as any other key piece of safety equipment.
Meet The Inventors
Retired sergeant from Walnut Creek Police Department in California with 31 years of service. Ron is committed to leveraging his knowledge and experience to save lives, prevent injuries and preserve financial resources through the development and promotion of The WRAP. Ron is Vice President of Training and Tactics.
- Diablo Valley College and California State University - Sacramento educated
- 31-year Law Enforcement Career-Retired Sergeant
Officer and supervisor in Motorcycle/Traffic Bureau, Patrol Bureau, FTO, SWAT, Detective - Bureau for Homicide, Robbery, Sexual Assault and Burglary. Over 25 years as the agency's lead defensive tactics instructor and supervisor.
- 45 years training experience in all forms of law enforcement/Defense-Tactics
- Credited with training tens of thousands of officers/civilians on various law enforcement disciplines and college curriculum expert.
- Martial Arts-2nd degree black belt; teaching civilians and members of law enforcement (Certificated and P.O.S.T. Instructor in Crisis Communication, Use of Force, Self-Defense, Impact Weapons, Chemical Agents, Electronic Devices, Field Tactics)
- Certified Expert Witness by the California Supreme Court in the area of law enforcement training and defense tactics.
- Owner of a former training company teaching classes to State, Local, and Federal Law Enforcement personnel and agencies, Paramedics, EMT's, Private Security and Fire Departments.
- Selected for P.O.S.T. commission on Use of Force, non-lethal force state lesson plans for law enforcement academies.
- Holds numerous certificates in law enforcement training and credited with patents issued for The WRAP restraint.
- Co-Founder/Inventor and Vice-President: Safe Restraints Inc. Currently heading the Training and Tactics Division of Safe Restraints, Inc.
Retired police captain and former interim chief of police at Walnut Creek Police Department in California with a total of over 30 years in law enforcement. Committed to using his knowledge to save lives, reduce injuries and protect property through the development of The WRAP.
- Diablo Valley College, A.A. Degree in Criminal Justice
- Sacramento State University, B.A. in Criminal Justice
- Hayward State University, M.P.A. in Public Administration
- FBI National Academy Graduate June, 2003
- Former co-owner of private company that taught a variety of non-lethal force topics.
- Expert witness in the areas of law enforcement training and tactics by state and federal court systems.
- Certified Instructor in non-lethal force weapons and arrest and self-defense techniques, restraint devises, Including Instructor courses for these topics.
- Martial Arts-Black Belt Instructor to civilians and law enforcement personnel.
- Trained tens of thousands of police officers and civilians during his career.
- Holds numerous certificates in law enforcement training and credited with patents issued for The Wrap restraint.
- Police Assignments: Patrol Officer, Field Training Officer, Narcotics Detective, SWAT, Academy and Advanced Training Sergeant, Lieutenant, Interim Chief, Patrol Captain.
- Co-Founder/Inventor and Board member: Safe Restraints, Inc.
- Currently the lead defensive tactics instructor for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department in California.